Spring Car Care from the Edmonton Auto Repair Experts
Written by Todd Eskow on May 07, 2013
Six Tips to Get Your Car Ready for Spring
Get your vehicle into tip top shape for the Edmonton Spring.
Spring is almost here. You’re bagging leftover leaves, opening the windows, thinking about that deck. What about your car? After months of driving under harsh conditions, adding ‘car care’ to your spring to-do list will help keep your car on the road and out of an Edmonton auto repair shop.
As a leading car repair services shop in Edmonton, at Computerized AutoPro, we understand what your car goes through from October to April, and what it needs to work just as hard the rest of the year.
With a little maintenance and these six simple tips to get your car ready for spring, you’ll keep your car young and healthy.
Six spring car care tips:
- Get an oil and filter maintenance service. When temperatures rise, condensation builds up. That could mean water in your engine. Most city drivers’ engines don’t get warm enough to build up that condensation, so this quarterly service is especially important in the spring to keep your engine in good shape.
- Check your engine oil level. It’s easy to forget to top up your oil, and many drivers go all winter without checking their oil level. Now that it’s warmer out, take a few minutes to make sure you’ve got enough oil for your engine to perform at its best.
- Check your engine oil weight. At our Edmonton car repair shop, we used to use 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. Today, most vehicles can use the manufacturer’s recommended viscosities, including the new 5W20 and 0W20, so you might not need to switch. But it’s best to be sure. Ask your Edmonton auto repair technician for advice.
- Get a comprehensive vehicle inspection. Your vehicle works just as hard when it’s 20C as when it’s –20C. With a thorough inspection performed by a diagnostic technician every 20,000 kilometres, you can spot problems and prevent breakdowns to keep your car healthy all year round.
- Change your tires. Drivers are always asking, When should I change my winter tires? In Edmonton, if you drive less than 20,000 kilometres per year, you can probably wait until May to avoid the tire change rush without wearing down your tires. If you drive more than 20,000 km per year, getting in sooner will help give you the longest life from your tires.
- Ready for a car that runs great and looks even better? Computerized AutoPro’s Edmonton car detailing services can clean off that cake of winter dirt so your tires, wires and carpets are free of water and rust.